Sunday, December 14, 2008

...And The Ones That Mother Gives You Don't Do Anything At All


I haven't been sick in a long time - maybe two years. Until Tuesday, that is - whereupon I was hit by a Mack truck of a head cold and have been pretty much bedridden ever since. My sinuses feel as if I've sucked up a bucket of water through a straw and I have no strength to do much of anything besides lay around and watch TV. Seriously. TV. Me.

Finals for my community college class were over Monday, so that was already out of the way. I did go in and test patient #2 in my tiny shiny new office Thursday morning (pictures soon), and I did let The Girl host movie night at our house again Friday night, but one was for the money and the other was to know where The Girl and her friends were and what they were doing with their time now that the neverending football season is finally over after the Fundietonfieldvilleview Weirdmascosts lost the 4th playoff game - they're usually only good for one or two.

Now, I know the only cure for a cold is seven days - essentially just letting it run its course. I'm not sure what's the wort part about having a cold, though: the sickness itself (for which there is still no cure because people never catch the same variant twice) or the medications available to "alleviate" the symptoms. None of the medicines really seem to "do" anything. The "__-Quil" meds just make me sleep - even the daytime variety. Warm bourbon, honey and lemon makes a great cough syrup if you can stomach bourbon and don't plan to drive anywhere. I also like a good homemade chicken or potato soup when I'm sick or the Lipton noodle soup in the packet - just toss out half of the yellow salt powder before trying to cook it or it's too salty. Ginger ale and Sprite or 7Up are good, too because my mom always gave me those when I was a little kid. So what do you reach for when you're suffering from a cold?

1 comment:

Brunhilda said...

This season is have warded off two semi colds using zinc lozonages and that Enchinana however you spell it tea.

When my sinuses are clogged I like to boil some water, put it in a bowl, toss in a couple of peppermint tea bags and put a towl over my head for a little steam tent. It helps unclog me. I also do a saline rinse for my nostrils. It helps unclog the sinuses too.

As far as meds go I just raid the medicine cabinet here at work. We've got the standard cold & sinus stuff.

Other than that - plenty of rest and liquids. It sounds like you're getting those. Feel better soon!