Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Right Side Up Again

We've all heard horror stories about insurance companies jerking people around when it comes time to pay on a claim, despite thousands paid in premiums. I am proud to say that didn't happen. My Texas Farm Bureau Insurance agent, Marc Lancaster out of the Hood/Somervell County office returned my phone call from Sunday at around 8:30 yesterday morning. I called in the claim a little after 9am when the main office opened and the claim was COMPLETED before 1pm. I had to go to the wrecking yard to sign the release of the vehicle to the insurance company and retrieve The Girl's remaining possessions and will have to sign a power of attorney & send it back with the title, but as soon as those make it back to the home office in Waco, they'll cut me a check for nearly what we paid for the car back in July. Granted, I'm not telling The Girl how much it is. All she knows is that she has to get another job - closer to home - and I'll be taking her to & from until she can save an as-yet-to-be-determined amount of her own money to get another car.

Marc told me today that our premiums will barely even go up because he's keeping us on the premium line & just adding a point. I hate to sound like a commercial, but Farm Bureau Insurance has branches in all 50 states. You should call them. Their coverage is more extensive and for lower premiums than any company I've seen. On top of that, they have the most amazing customer service - bar none. If you call Marc for a quote, tell him Doc sent you.

If you're interested, here are the pictures we took yesterday at the wrecking yard - with the car right-side-up. We never did find her paycheck. Then again, $140 is a small price to pay...



3 comments:

Romulus Crowe said...

Well, it'll save energy in the car crusher. Half the job is done.

I'm amazed nobody was hurt, but then my brother was good at totalling cars and emerging unscathed, even in the days before airbags. It was a sort of hobby with him, I think. He once drove straight through a set of roadworks without, I suppose, realising that roadworks usually mean 'big hole in road'. All cheap cars, naturally, since he didn't keep them long.

I guess she won't be nagging for a convertible as her next car. There's always a silver lining.

Good to hear everyone was okay in the end, and I agree - keep 'em busy and make them realise that mistakes have consequences. My parents did, and my brother is a slightly more careful driver these days.

Brunhilda said...

Wow. I'm impressed you got things settled so quickly. I have been rather unsatisfied with my insurance as of late, and have been considering giving state farm a call for a quote. I may just have to do that.

Constance said...

Good Tuesday afternoon to you, Dr. Brainiac !

Good that the insurance company paid up so quickly - that is VERY nice !

It is also good that girl has to be responsible and work towards getting another car.

Those pictures just made me shudder all over again. Thank GOD that she was okay.