Thursday, December 13, 2007

Doc's Butter Cookies

When I was a kid, I loved these cookies, specifically the pretzel-shaped ones with the big fat sugar crystals on top. As I got older and more interested in culinary pursuits, I found several recipes for similar cookies and tried all of them. Inevitably, they turned out too dry, not sweet enough or something else that made the end product not to my liking. I've never met a recipe I couldn't tweak, so here's my take on one of my childhood favorites.

Doc's Butter Cookies

2 cups butter (yes - one full pound of REAL butter - no substitutes)
2 &1/2 cups confectioner's sugar (sifted)
2 hard cooked egg yolks (sieved)
2 raw egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or vanilla infused vodka)
1 teaspoon almond extract (or amaretto)
4 cups cake flour (sifted - do NOT substitute all-purpose)
2 lightly beaten egg yolks
approx 3/4 cup India Tree sparkling sugar

Begin with all ingredients at room temperature. In a mixer beat butter until creamy then add confectioner's sugar and beat until fluffy and light. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla/amaretto, then slowly beat in flour. Separate into 4 roughly equal portions, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.

When the dough is removed from the refrigerator it will be difficult to work with. I recommend cutting it into rough chunks to make the warming up faster, so the dough is easier to work with sooner. It can get a little goopy to work with if your hands are too warm, but be patient. It will be worth it.

Using a walnut-sized or so's worth of dough for each cookie, roll into little ropes then shape them into pretzel or other shapes as you like and place on a cookie sheet (I love my Silpat mats or Release foil) Using a pastry brush, brush cookies with the egg white then LIBERALLY sprinkle the sparkling sugar on top.

Bake these in a 350 degree oven until golden brown around the edges - about 12 minutes or so. -Makes about 60.

It's just not December around here until these are on the table.

Okay I have loads to do today to get ready for the next round of partying on Saturday. Y'all have fun and let me know how yours turn out.

1 comment:

Constance said...

Amaretto sounds wonderful to use in cookies !
Try 2 tablespoons in an apple pie sometimes too, Doc !