Wednesday, February 7, 2007

It's Almost That Time


One great thing about living in this part of the world is that no matter what that rodent back east has to say about the situation, my daffodils and hyacinths will be blooming Valentine's Day. That's also the day I put out my hummingbird feeders. The little guys will be here within a few days of that. It was 75 degrees and sunny today without a cloud in the sky - a wonderful and hopeful precursor of days yet to come.

I never outgrew playing in the dirt. I love the experience of dirt - the smell, the texture, getting it under my nails, the whole thing. I love watching the sprouts grow into something nourishing to serve to the people I care about. Back in the days before graduate school, I kept a full garden. Now that I'm in the final throes of dissertating, all I have time or energy for are some perennial herbs in my flower bed and a few pots on the patio. Tragic, really, but I'll tend to those with the same love and care as if it were a full garden.

Sadly, this will be another year without a garden since the finish line is so close. Next year though - my friends will be begging me not to give them any more vegetables. I can hardly wait.

No comments: