Saturday, February 17, 2007

Yeah, It's Like That.


People are always asking me, "What's doctoral study like?" The coursework and clinical training were fine. Naturally I breezed through them without a hitch. However, although I tell them that the dissertation process is a bitch, that doesn't adequately convey the true nature of the experience. It's much deeper and all-encompassing than that. Honestly, I haven't encountered levels of stress and frustration this high since my first marriage. However, my inner band nerd has come up with a fitting analogy for the experience: It's like trying to march a halftime show in the La Brea Tar Pits. Yep. Just like that.

Back to work....

2 comments:

Kate said...

This is why I was in the pit (xylophones, bells) in marching band. Far easier to slog through the tar.

Though, as of Friday, I should be able to officially announce my abandonment of my doctorate. Somehow I'm not even sad about it.

Dr. Brainiac said...

Oooh, what this 5-foot-nothing piccolo player wouldn't have given to get to just stand there during halftime instead of running all over the field.

In a way I'm jealous about the abandonment of the doctorate too, but I'm too deep in it to give up now.

They keep saying I'll be glad I did it when it's over. I'm thinking it's more like I'll be glad it's over when it's over.