Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Grandma's Poem

My Grandma in Kansas City has this poem framed and hanging, of all places, above the toilet in the main bathroom. It's always struck a chord with me and given that this has been the party hard summer of mass entertaining, I thought I'd share it with y'all. It really sums up my hostessing style, and goes a long way toward explaining my waning energy level right now.

GUEST
You are welcome here
Be at your ease
Go to bed when you're ready
Get up when you please
Happy to share with you
Such as we've got
The leak in the roof
And the soup in the pot
You don't have to thank us
Or laugh at our jokes
Sit deep and come often
You're one of the folks

I need a nap.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that made me feel right at home.

Where's the pantry and the remote Doc?

Brunhilda said...

That's cute. Now go have a nap!

April Elizabeth said...

Thats such a sweet poem. There was a poem next to my aunts toilet too... but it went somethign like "you are at our house for fun in the sun, but but please don't flush down number one." Not nearly as homey.

Constance said...

Awwww, Dr. She, that poem is sweet.
Sounds like you are a welcoming and easy hostess that makes people feel right at home !

Hope you are having a good Tuesday evening --

Dr. Brainiac said...

Slick - now you're catching on...

Jesska - I did take a nap yesterday for about an hour after returning home from taking The Girl out for Mexican food after her flute lesson

April - kind of like that line from Meet The Fockers: If it's yellow, let it mellow, etc.

Annie - Yes, I feel that my duty as hostess with the mostest is to make sure my guests feel welcome and honored. Once they settle in on the Magic Patio the warp in the space/time continuum that happens out there makes them never want to leave! Not that that's a bad thing ;o)

Anonymous said...

thanks for this, I saw this same poem at a house I visited this weekend and wanted to read it again and maybe put it up in my home